[NSC-news] Sailing and Bar

Stephen Barnes stephen.barnes at northumbria.ac.uk
Fri Jul 3 21:35:41 BST 2020

Hi all,

I hope everyone is well. Whilst not the same as seeing you in person it has been great to catch up with many members in our virtual bar meetings on the Thursday evenings. However as lockdown begins to ease we have opportunities to return to some of our normal sailing life!

Sailing

A few weeks ago we held a trial sailing session on a Saturday taking our Strikeliner and Jaffa safety boats out with two single handed Picos - this gave an opportunity to ensure we could launch and recover our safety boats in a way that enabled us to comply with social distancing. It was a successful day and we hope to start getting back out again more regularly over the summer. Things will naturally be different - we are not using the changing rooms at the moment, we are launching both safety boats and unless you sail with a member of your own household it is likely that you may wish to borrow one of the Club's Picos and sail single handed.
We will need to determine each Saturday whether we have people to man the safety boats and sailors will need to plan to sail in the same area. I suggest we use the WhatsApp group to facilitate. Please let us know if you wish to sail so we can assist.

Bar

With the Government announcing pubs and restaurants can open from tomorrow, the committee have been working to ensure we can open safely. We are pleased to let you know that  the bar will reopen to members from this Sunday (5th Jul)  and you are welcome to come down from 8pm to chat face to face with each other. We have completed a full risk assessment having analysed the Government's publication on hospitality and we have drawn up a set of procedures we ask you to follow - please see attached. This is of course to ensure everyone's safety and  that we comply with the guidance issued. Opportunities to talk boating at all levels remain unchanged!!!

Stay safe and hope to see you soon.

Kind regards
Barney
This message is intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. Any use, disclosure or reproduction without the sender's explicit consent is unauthorised and may be unlawful. If you have received this message in error, please notify Northumbria University immediately and permanently delete it. Any views or opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the University. Northumbria University email is provided by Microsoft Office365 and is hosted within the EEA, although some information may be replicated globally for backup purposes. The University cannot guarantee that this message or any attachment is virus free or has not been intercepted and/or amended.